First reference to school appeared in minutes of trustee's meeting 1876 which included specifications for a new school.
Some residents claim that school burned and was rebuilt, but to date, we have no evidence.
Arthur Jones taught here from 1932-35; Mary Steil Chatfield taught from 1935 - 56 when school closed as a result of consolidation. She did not miss a single day of school during that time period.
In 1985 a family from NY City bought the school and made some modifications, using it as a camp or second home.
Bill Dake bought the school and on December 23, 1991, turned it over to the Greenfield Hist. Soc.
Information from old district records
Minutes of the 1888 district meeting listed: Year's wood supply $8.84; Teacher's wage $13.98
New ceiling added in 1934.
1936, Ernst Rhodes varnished ceiling, desks, and floor, and one coat of white paint on exterior. He charged the district $30.
Summer and fall of 2004 contractors under the supervision of John Munter of Munter Enterprises completely restored building, outhouse and grounds to near original condition since some modifications had been made by previous private owners.
Helen Woods (Arthur Jones' daughter) began her education in the school at age six. She attended through grade eight. As an eighth grader she was the only one in that grade. On average, she said, there were fourteen or fifteen students each year divided between the eight grades. The school day ran from nine to four as many students had to do chores at home before attending school. For her first five grades she had her father as teacher, then for last three, she had Mary Chatfield.
Jud Kilmer remembers older students splitting wood and younger ones piling it in the woodshed during recess.