A History of Greenfield's Mount Pleasant and the Glass Factory:Including a History of John W. James & Middle Grove; also The History of Plank Road & NY Route 9N.by Ron Fuelner In the 1840s, Oscar Granger, a master glass blower and owner of a glass factory in central NY, partnered with a Town of Greenfield entrepreneur, John W. James, who owned a paper mill and bank, and also had a town (now Middle Grove) named after him. Together, they built a new glass factory and mill town in the wilderness above Lake Desolation. Within a decade, Mount Pleasant was the most prosperous hamlet in the Town of Greenfield. They next turned their attention to an engineering marvel of the day, the building of a plank road to service their community. One of these men prospered, the other failed and was run out of town in disgrace. Mount Pleasant is gone; timberland with stone wall fences and occasional cellar depressions are all that is left of the once thriving community.
153 pages, 8 and ½ x11 inches, paperback, $19.95 plus tax and shipping. You can purchase from the author at (518) 893-0620
Greenfield Glimpses by Clayton Brown, 1976, Cost $5.00.
If you are going to own one book about the history of the Town of Greenfield, this should be the one. Mr. Brown was superintendent of schools and in retirement became the Town Historian. This book is still available (limited quantity left) from the Town Clerk's Office. Call 518 893 7432 extension 300 for information.
Lucinda or the Mountain Mourner retold by Ron Feulner, 1998, cost $15.95. (original author P.D. Manvill). Mr. Feulner has retold this area story dating from 1806 about a young woman becoming pregnant out of wedlock and being forced to return home to have her baby. Shortly after the baby is born, the young woman dies and was said to have mourned herself to death because of the shame she brought on her family. The original book (which was a best seller in early America but is now out of print) is gaining new recognition and may be the first novel written by an American woman. Mr. Feulner's version is available from the Greenfield Town Clerk's office (518 893 7432 ext.300) or from the author at 518 893 0620.
Porter Corners Graphite by Ron Feulner, 1997. Cost $17.95. In 1906 graphite was discovered on the flanks of the mountain near Porter Corners, NY. A NY City investment group formed the Empire Graphite Company and began buying leases for mining rights. The mine flourished during WWI when purer overseas graphite was unavailable, but as soon as the war ended the company failed. The mine and mill ruins are now a favorite hiking destination. The mill with its two foot thick concrete walls looks like castle ruins on the mountainside. Available from the Town Clerk (518 893 7432 ext. 300) or from the author 518 893 0620.
King of the Mountain by Ron Feulner, 1995. Cost $19.95. A history of northern Saratoga County (Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa, Lake Desolation, the Glass Factory, etc.) as seen through the eyes of three generations of the Feulner family. John Feulner, Sr. and his wife Barbara after arriving from Germany carved out a homestead in the deep woods above Lake Desolation. Three generations of Feulners lived and worked this land (nearly one-thousand acres) until it was sold in the 1960s. Available from the Town Clerk (518 893 7432 ext. 300) or from the author 518 893 0620.
Greenfield Heritage Resource Inventory by Leaver, Anthony, Holman and Associates with the help of many others. No date. This is a comprehensive look at the area's cultural, recreational, and natural resources to help planning at the local level. The book is currently out of print but copies should be in local libraries.